Demystifying Document Management
What is Document Management?
Document management, sometimes referred as Document Management Systems or DMS, is a system or computer program where one will be able to manage, store and track electronic documents and electronic paper captured by scanning.
Document Management is how an organization stores and keeps track of all its electronic documents—documents that are essential to the organization.
As ISO 12651-2 states, a document is a “recorded information or object which can be treated as a unit”. Despite the difference or even lack of term usage, companies have been using document management in creating and distributing documents for years.
Document management system, as a software, is not limited to functions such as controlling and organizing documents within the organization. It also incorporates content capture, audit and security, reports generation, information backup and retrieval systems.
Today, document management systems differ in scope and size, from standalone systems to large scale enterprise. Document management systems provide means to incorporate physical document filing practices electronically. Some of which includes:
- Storage Location
- Version Control
- Audit Trail
- Check In/Out
- Document Lockdowns
How to Demystify Document Management?
Merriam-Webster defines demystify as means to eliminate the mystifying features of something. In other words, to simplify. How can we simplify document management? There are things that can be done in order to simplify or demystify document management. Here are some of them:
- Document Repository – Every department has their own way of processing, working and employee profiles. That is why it is somehow hard to create a document repository manually. Now a document management system software allows easy arrangement of numerous documents for any category and team.
- Share and Search Features – Due to heavy and plenty of documentation organizations tend to end up inside complex files of data. Searching a file in a matter of seconds is simpler with a document management software. The software allows authorized persons to files just by submitting file names, document content and full text searching.
- Tagging Capabilities – Tagging documents helps employees get a quick notification regarding a file with one click access. This makes an easy way to organized and assign parts of the document to a specific employee.
- Lifecycle Management – Every document starts from creation to finalization. In between the two phases there are things that happens. Editing, versioning and archiving are some of the things that happens between creation and finalization. With the document management system software managing the file is without hassle and file retrieval is quite easy.
- One-Click Previews – With a document management software, there is no need for employees to download a file in order to know what the file is all about. The software has a feature which allows the user to view the file in preview mode. This feature makes it quicker review process for numerous documents that needs approval.
With the numerous options of Document Management System nowadays, it is imperative that an organization chooses what vital system fits the organization – taking in account the features and capabilities. Moreover, does it have integration capabilities for increased productivity and convenience? Is it accessible on the web and deployed in a highly-secured cloud? Can you easily scale and upgrade the storage easily, as needed?